Thursday, September 10, 2009

Drama in the Classroom

     A few years ago I remember admiring teachers who used drama in the classroom and felt very intimidated by the thought of using it in my future classroom.  I was very nervous to take the class Theatre for Elem. Ed. Teachers, but had I known how much I would have learned, I would have taken it long before I did.  That class sparked something in me that I hope never dies.  In addition to learning about the resources available and the skill of teaching and incorporating Drama in the classroom, we learned concentration, focus, and gained an immense amount of confidence.  These are a few of the things children gain when they are taught drama in the classroom.
     The techniques and strategies that I plan on using will be, to develop trust with my students so that they know that our class is a safe environment.  I will use many focus games and exercises to develop concentration.  I will use drama vocabulary such as upstage and center-stage etc. I will allow for creative role playing and puppet making lessons.  I will have a class play, even if I don't teach 3rd or 5th grade, when it is commonly done.  
     I would love to pull lessons from other subjects and tie drama into them.  I can see myself having students act as mad scientists as they present their science project.  I would encourage students to dress up in appropriate costumes and come as the person they chose for their Presidents report or Explorer.  I would like to dress up as the author or characters of books we read in class and have fun with reading.  Drama can be a memorable tool for children that can last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment