Monday, September 28, 2009

Sweet Melody in Life and Learning

     Music is happiness.  Plain and simple.  If professionals "play music to jump-start creative problem solving", and it is known to "kindle emotional responses while firing up cognition"... if it makes "time seem to speed by", and helps make "exercise palatable"... Then why not use it in the classroom.  The classroom is in need of all of these benefits.  It is where formal education blooms and flourishes and music should be a part of this daily.  A teacher who uses music in the classroom might feel that they are doing so for the benefit of the students, but may I submit, that music will be just as much a benefit to the teacher. 
     Patterns are pleasing.  Children love rhythm and repetition in melody.  The patterns in music stimulate the brain.   Music and rhythm are both a natural part of life.  Music helps keep attention and triggers memory.  A familiar melody helps maintain memory long-term.  Music is a great resource in every culture and is key in many traditions.  Music is also for everyone.  There are many types and genres.  Everyone loves and is benefitted by music.
     As a teacher I will incorporate music in my classroom everyday.  I plan to use it in presentations, classroom management, and for memorization.  I will use it in drama lessons, math learning, and other subjects.  I will play classical music when students are in the creative mode for artistic projects.  I will use it in times of celebration, for patriotism, and to unify our class.  I will sing the school song with our students to promote school pride.  I plan to use different instruments, such as the recorder, piano (I better practice!) and drums.  I plan to use it more so with technology.  We have such an abundance of resources to use music in the classroom.  I know that it will be a big help to my teaching experiences.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment