Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dancing Sets Us Free!

     If dance in the classroom is about "creative problem solving" and using "hands on, feet on--whole body on" experiences, then educators must take note of the awesome possibilities they have to teach students through dance.  A formal dance class in a studio would be repetitive learning and possibly high stress for students to get routines just right.  In a classroom students have the ability to explore the possibilities with the adventure of creative movement and variations of music.  This can relieve stress and anxiety.  This can allow for self expression in a free way that has no right or wrong answer.  
     I will use dance in my classroom as tool.  Children need movement.  Movement helps motivate learning by promoting activity in a fun way.  When children incorporate movement with learning it helps them learn by experiencing not just memorizing.  It is invigorating.  I will allow children to get up and get their wiggles out in creative ways.  I will use music to promote a mood for the dance.  I will use dance to teach about different cultures and customs.  I will use dance to teach focus, and concentration.  Dancing to bring fun into a math lesson might be a challenge that I would like to explore.  Dance and creative movement with music and creativity will be a fun element in my classroom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment